Subject: FAQ, docs (was: Suggested addition to http://cygwin.com/doc.html)
From: "Jochen Küpper" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: 28 Nov 2001 15:39:45 -0500

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001 15:09:01 -0500 Steve Morris wrote:

Steve> I just discovered (thanks to helpfull feedback from this list)
Steve> the documentation in /usr/doc. 

Cygwin homepage --> FAQ --> Q&A --> Where can I get more information?
,----
| Where's the documentation?
| 
| If you have installed Cygwin, you can find lots of documentation in
| `/usr/doc/'. Many packages ship with standard documentation, you can
| find this in a directory `/usr/doc/package_name'. In addition, some
| packages have Cygwin specific instructions in a file
| `/usr/doc/Cygwin/package_name.README'.
`----

Steve> It would probably help to reference that directory on the doc
Steve> web page, or perhaps the package web page or maybe both.

Well, the FAQ is linked on the Cygwin doc-page and homepage.

Steve> It is now on my list of places to check before posting and
Steve> probably should be on everyones.

Good.

Considering that it is not obvious for everybody to look at the FAQ
and/or '/usr/doc' should that be made more prominent to the user? Like
adding a message dialog at the end of setup.exe? Maybe only for the
first installation, or whenever cygwin.dll get's updated or something
like that?

Greetings,
Jochen
- -- 
Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit                http://www.Jochen-Kuepper.de
    Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité                GnuPG key: 44BCCD8E
        Sex, drugs and rock-n-roll

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/