Subject: SSHD Automatically Starting as a Service in Win2k
From: Troy Jensen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 14:12:47 -0600

Cygwin SSHD starting as a Windows 2000 service.

Windows will not start my SSHD service for me on boot up. I deleted an
older version of Cygwin from like Jan 2001 and installed the new one
so I could setup my workstation as a SSH server. I attached the setup
log and I used cygrunsrv to setup sshd as a service (which from what I
can tell is fairly new). BTW ... when I installed Cygwin, I installed
everything. The sshd install seemed successful and I can start the
service manually or under the windows registry in a "run" directory
(with the -D option), however, I have to login to Windows to kick
start it. I would like to have it start without having to log into my
machine. This way I can restart my computer, leave it sitting at the
login prompt, and then be able to SSH into it from any where.

And yes, I have the environment variables set for cygwin/bin.

Here are what the logs say from trying to start the service after a
reboot:

System Log:

"Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Cygwin SSHD service to
connect."

"The Cygwin SSHD service failed to start due to the following error: 
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a
timely fashion."

Application log:

"The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( sshd ) cannot be
found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
computer. The following information is part of the event: sshd : Win32
Process Id = 0x5BC : Cygwin Process Id = 0x5BC : `sshd' service
stopped."

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Troy

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/