Subject: Re: Where and what are /usr/bin/ and /usr/lib/ ?
From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <[email-masked]>
To: "fergus at bonhard dot uklinux dot net" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Fergus on Linux" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 10:44:26 -0500

At 03:25 AM 11/20/2001, fergus at bonhard dot uklinux dot net wrote:
>Using mount, I kind of know that /usr/bin/ is a ghost copy of /bin/, and
>/usr/lib/ is a ghost copy of /lib/ ...
>
>but ...
>
>1. I don't really understand why both of /usr/bin/ and /bin/ are put on the
>path in /etc/profile;
>2. I can move to /usr/bin/ using cd /usr/bin <Enter>, but I can't see it
>using ls -al /usr <Enter>;
>3. Time was when find / -name "ls*" <Enter> [for example] would find both
>/bin/ls.exe and the virtual /usr/bin/ls.exe; now it just finds /bin/ls.exe
>
>I'm not bothered by any of this - I don't understand enough about the
>reasons underlying the virtual existence of these two folders - but could
>one of the Cygwin honchos confirm that all of (1) to (3) are expected and
>"correct" behaviours? Thanks.

1, 2, and 3 are expected behavior.  You can "fix" the behavior in 2 by
creating the /usr/bin directory.  It's recommended that you create the 
directory you plan to use as the home for the mount, though it's not 
required (as it is in UNIX).  Creating /usr/bin will remove the issue 
you see with 2.

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
838 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/