Subject: Where and what are /usr/bin/ and /usr/lib/ ?
From: "fergus at bonhard dot uklinux dot net" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Fergus on Linux" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 08:25:29 -0000

Using mount, I kind of know that /usr/bin/ is a ghost copy of /bin/, and
/usr/lib/ is a ghost copy of /lib/ ...

but ...

1. I don't really understand why both of /usr/bin/ and /bin/ are put on the
path in /etc/profile;
2. I can move to /usr/bin/ using cd /usr/bin <Enter>, but I can't see it
using ls -al /usr <Enter>;
3. Time was when find / -name "ls*" <Enter> [for example] would find both
/bin/ls.exe and the virtual /usr/bin/ls.exe; now it just finds /bin/ls.exe

I'm not bothered by any of this - I don't understand enough about the
reasons underlying the virtual existence of these two folders - but could
one of the Cygwin honchos confirm that all of (1) to (3) are expected and
"correct" behaviours? Thanks.

Fergus

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/