Subject: Re: no more package moratorium?
From: "Robert Collins" <[email-masked]>
To: "Stipe Tolj" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Corinna Vinschen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 12:09:34 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stipe Tolj" <[email-masked]>

> It would be easy to allow package maintainers (via HTTP basic
> authentification and underlying PHP application) to update the
> relevant information in the database.

I'd very much doubt that Chris would be happy with http basic authentication
given it's security issues, unless wrapped in SSL. And doing that takes CPU
which I understand sources.redhat.com to be a little short on right now.

> > Also, federating a database is _hard_. Federating package metadata by
> > associating it with the packages is trivial.
>
> It depends on the design of the database and the access mechanisms,
> IMO.

Really? The replication and merge capability in oracle 8i or above, and in
MSSQL 7 would do it, but even they don't address the trust issues in having
a truely federated system.

However, this is not my decision. I just think that a database with web
interface for maintaining this data is doing it the wrong way around. A web
interface to view the data yes, and Chris's package list allows that
trivially. A web interface to change, don't make sense to me. However, if
you can convince the other current maintainers, and are willing to
completely rewrite this when setup handles embedded meta data - such as rpm
has - then I won't object.

Rob

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/