Subject: Re: no more package moratorium?
From: Stipe Tolj <[email-masked]>
To: Robert Collins <[email-masked]>
Cc: Corinna Vinschen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 00:32:51 +0100

> We've had that - setup.ini was the database, and updating was a PITA,
> because it couldn't be easily distributed. Setup.hint allows the
> metadata to be altered by the maintainer - without needing a central
> repository.

I agree, that's why I mentioned in the file conflict thread:

The package maintaining system should provide _mechanisms_ to support
the package maintainers.

It would be easy to allow package maintainers (via HTTP basic
authentification and underlying PHP application) to update the
relevant information in the database.

This is how my intension from the package maintaining module looks
like.
 
> Also, federating a database is _hard_. Federating package metadata by
> associating it with the packages is trivial.

It depends on the design of the database and the access mechanisms,
IMO.

Stipe

[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Wapme Systems AG

Münsterstr. 248
40470 Düsseldorf

Tel: +49-211-74845-0
Fax: +49-211-74845-299

E-Mail: [email-masked]
Internet: http://www.wapme-systems.de
-------------------------------------------------------------------
wapme.net - wherever you are

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/