Subject: Re: no more package moratorium?
From: "Robert Collins" <[email-masked]>
To: "Stipe Tolj" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Corinna Vinschen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 10:29:58 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stipe Tolj" <[email-masked]>
>
> why? if the metadata is held in a database and all setup.hints are
> generated out of it we have no problems about consistence?!

We've had that - setup.ini was the database, and updating was a PITA,
because it couldn't be easily distributed. Setup.hint allows the
metadata to be altered by the maintainer - without needing a central
repository.

Also, federating a database is _hard_. Federating package metadata by
associating it with the packages is trivial.

I've no objection to you generating a database from the package
metadata, but it *must* be that way around.

Rob

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/