Subject: Re: new site for my ports is up
From: "Robert Collins" <[email-masked]>
To: "Stipe Tolj" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Charles Wilson" <[email-masked]>, "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 10:24:52 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stipe Tolj" <[email-masked]>
To: "Robert Collins" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Charles Wilson" <[email-masked]>; "Gerrit P. Haase"
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2001 10:19 AM
Subject: Re: new site for my ports is up

> > The site maintenance is actually pretty automatic now. Copy the file
to
> > the location, it's included. Delete the file, it's removed. Hmm
that's
> > easy :}.
>
> yes, considered in the raw uploading semantic. But what about
> regression testing and file conflicts. Basicly we tread tarballs as
> black-boxes without knowing (exactly) if the included files may mess
> up a installation/package in some way.

And? File conflicts we've discussed. They are bad while setup can't
detect them, but after that they are ok.
Any package linting we do _can not_ assume that all packages are stored
at redhat.com. Folk have local packages that they just drop in their
install tree, and we cannot predict what is in them. Therefore such
package linting is independent of the contents of the redhat master
site.

> I can't find that, what subject was the thread running under?

I dunno, check cygwin-apps, cgf for the last week.

> > Hmm, I don't agree. See my point about conflicts. Conflicts are
normal,
> > and to be expected. There is no point getting all automated about
> > detecting conflicts in packages until setup.exe can prevent the
users
> > installing those conflicting packages. Until that point, a check
every
> > month or three will probably suffice. An automated check on the
package
> > when it is put into the repository would also be great, but that
takes
> > tuit and I can think of other things that I'd like Chris to tuit
before
> > this (winsup/utils breakout specifically).
>
> I agree, a fully automated procedure is not what I'm intending, but a
> automation _support_.

I think I'm confused. You talked about a automatic upload + error
reporting system...

Rob

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/