Subject: Re: new site for my ports is up
From: Stipe Tolj <[email-masked]>
To: Robert Collins <[email-masked]>
Cc: Charles Wilson <[email-masked]>, "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 00:19:02 +0100

> The site maintenance is actually pretty automatic now. Copy the file to
> the location, it's included. Delete the file, it's removed. Hmm that's
> easy :}.

yes, considered in the raw uploading semantic. But what about
regression testing and file conflicts. Basicly we tread tarballs as
black-boxes without knowing (exactly) if the included files may mess
up a installation/package in some way.

> >   1) supporting the (new) users the best way to get what they want,
> > aka "has someone ported foobar already to Cygwin?!"
> 
> Chris has this already - he generates an automatic list of packages on
> the cygwin site. See this list a few days back IIRC.

I can't find that, what subject was the thread running under?

> >   2) support the pacakge maintainers, i.e. by having a reference of
> > all used files and possible file conflicts within a database on the
> > site. A package maintainer should be able to "check-in" a new release
> > and roll a regression test on it before it gets publicaly available
> > and integrated to setup.ini.
> 
> Hmm, I don't agree. See my point about conflicts. Conflicts are normal,
> and to be expected. There is no point getting all automated about
> detecting conflicts in packages until setup.exe can prevent the users
> installing those conflicting packages. Until that point, a check every
> month or three will probably suffice. An automated check on the package
> when it is put into the repository would also be great, but that takes
> tuit and I can think of other things that I'd like Chris to tuit before
> this (winsup/utils breakout specifically).

I agree, a fully automated procedure is not what I'm intending, but a
automation _support_.

Stipe

[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Wapme Systems AG

Münsterstr. 248
40470 Düsseldorf

Tel: +49-211-74845-0
Fax: +49-211-74845-299

E-Mail: [email-masked]
Internet: http://www.wapme-systems.de
-------------------------------------------------------------------
wapme.net - wherever you are

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/