Subject: Re: new site for my ports is up
From: "Robert Collins" <[email-masked]>
To: "Stipe Tolj" <[email-masked]>, "Charles Wilson" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 09:23:40 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stipe Tolj" <[email-masked]>

> The only point I have to critic is the lack in tools and mechanisms to
> maintain the packages "on the distribution" (site). I would like to
> see an integrated web site that focuses on two aims:

The site maintenance is actually pretty automatic now. Copy the file to
the location, it's included. Delete the file, it's removed. Hmm that's
easy :}.

>   1) supporting the (new) users the best way to get what they want,
> aka "has someone ported foobar already to Cygwin?!"

Chris has this already - he generates an automatic list of packages on
the cygwin site. See this list a few days back IIRC.

>   2) support the pacakge maintainers, i.e. by having a reference of
> all used files and possible file conflicts within a database on the
> site. A package maintainer should be able to "check-in" a new release
> and roll a regression test on it before it gets publicaly available
> and integrated to setup.ini.

Hmm, I don't agree. See my point about conflicts. Conflicts are normal,
and to be expected. There is no point getting all automated about
detecting conflicts in packages until setup.exe can prevent the users
installing those conflicting packages. Until that point, a check every
month or three will probably suffice. An automated check on the package
when it is put into the repository would also be great, but that takes
tuit and I can think of other things that I'd like Chris to tuit before
this (winsup/utils breakout specifically).

> > Some stuff cannot be distributed from the cygwin mirror system, for
> > legal or political reasons (think cygipc).  [BTW, Gerrit, I have NO
> > problems with you mirroring the cygipc package. Go ahead.  But don't
try
> > to submit it for inclusion in the official dist, 'cause it won't be
> > accepted]
>
> why is that?

cygipc is getting replaced (slowly) by a cygwin-integrated ipc daemon.
(BTW: chris, can you comment on the file layout for that, so that it can
be merged.)

As for other things, it's a case by case basis. Imagine a package that
has legal issues with being distributed from the US, for example.

Rob

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/