Subject: Re: new site for my ports is up
From: Stipe Tolj <[email-masked]>
To: Charles Wilson <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 14:39:46 +0100

> Having ports/packages "live" on a separate site for a while, until the
> ports "settle down" enough for the porter/maintainer to be confident of
> them, is okay. I did that for a year or two with cygutils.  Eventually,
> I migrated the "important" packages over to the new "official" dist.

I think is is the target of all of us (package maintainers). Offer
packages and then get them cleanly to the "official" distribution.

The only point I have to critic is the lack in tools and mechanisms to
maintain the packages "on the distribution" (site). I would like to
see an integrated web site that focuses on two aims: 

  1) supporting the (new) users the best way to get what they want,
aka "has someone ported foobar already to Cygwin?!"

  2) support the pacakge maintainers, i.e. by having a reference of
all used files and possible file conflicts within a database on the
site. A package maintainer should be able to "check-in" a new release
and roll a regression test on it before it gets publicaly available
and integrated to setup.ini.

> Some stuff cannot be distributed from the cygwin mirror system, for
> legal or political reasons (think cygipc).  [BTW, Gerrit, I have NO
> problems with you mirroring the cygipc package. Go ahead.  But don't try
> to submit it for inclusion in the official dist, 'cause it won't be
> accepted]

why is that?

Stipe

[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Wapme Systems AG

Münsterstr. 248
40470 Düsseldorf

Tel: +49-211-74845-0
Fax: +49-211-74845-299

E-Mail: [email-masked]
Internet: http://www.wapme-systems.de
-------------------------------------------------------------------
wapme.net - wherever you are

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/