Subject: Setup suggestions
From: Andrew DeFaria <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 13:33:32 -0800

I have a few suggestions for Cygwin's setup.exe:

1) Setup should be runnable by the command line with no dialog prompting 
at all. This way one could envision an administrator rsh'ing to somebody 
else's machine and installing Cygwin in one command or setting up a cron 
job to periodically insure the user's Cygwin setup is up to date.

2) After setup runs it runs a DOS window doing things like mkpasswd -l > 
/etc/passwd. I would like to be able to specify to setup not to do that 
(after all we are in a domain and -l just isn't appropriate!) but 
instead run my own "finishing touches" script. My script does things 
like sets up inetd, makes a domain password file, adjusting fields as 
needed, etc.

3) Setup will inevitably fail if the user is configured to run inetd as 
a service. Invariably the service will be running because the user 
forgets to stop the service and that makes inetd busy and cygwin1.dll 
busy. Now if I could run setup via a script for totally automated 
installation (see #1 above) and insure that I could do my own finishing 
touches (see #2) then I can easily do a net stop inetd then run setup 
then do my own finishing touches. However I think that setup might be 
made smarter so as to check to see if the inetd service is running and 
turn it off before continuing (and, of course, turn it back on later). 
With the addition of say a -local-setup-script <script> option to setup 
I think that all of this can be automated.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/