Subject: Reporting bugs in GCC: a question of procedure
From: Jesper Eskilson <[email-masked]>
To: Cygwin Mailinglist <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Nov 2001 13:13:48 +0100

I have a piece of code which causes g++ to loop:

        g++ -O2 -c gccloopbug.i

By specifying -fno-rerun-cse-after-loop:

        g++ -O2 -fno-rerun-cse-after-loop -c gccloopbug.i

the bug disappears and g++ works nicely. Also, if you specify -dt (dump
debugging info after the CSE2-pass), the log file gccloopbug.i.cse2 grows
to be very large (200Mb before I killed it).

I haven't been able to reproduce this on my Linux-machine; mainly because
the preprocessed output doesn't compile on my Linux-machine. I was under
the impression that preprocessed output should be portable across different
hosts, but no.

If somebody wants to give it a try, I can send you the code.

The bug appears on all of the 2.95.3 series GCC released with Cygwin and
MingW. The latest I've tried is the MingW-released 2.95.3-7 version.

Should I report this as a GCC bug, even if I haven't been able to reproduce
it using the latest GCC version (i.e. 3.0.2, I guess)? Or should I just
switch of the rerun-cse-after-loop option and wait until 3.0.2 hits the
Cygwin and/or MingW shelves?

/Jesper
-- 
Jesper Eskilson
Virtutech

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/