Subject: Re: Problems
From: "Paul G." <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 16:14:45 -0800

Hi folks,

On 7 Nov 2001 at 10:32, the Illustrious Mais, Dale wrote:

> 
> I have tried to install cygwin on both an NT and Win98 machine and while
> it seems to install OK, when I try to open all I get is a fraction of a
> second appearance of a DOS window that disappears. I cannot get beyond
> this "flash". Any thoughts?

	Lot of them.  Astrophysics was a major of mine in early college days 
when a formal Computer Science curriculum had yet to be started at my 
college.  Ended up majoring in Astrophysics while minoring in a 
personal focus on Computer Science.

	At any rate, we need to establish what your assumptions currently are.

	Here are the basic Cygwin installation assumptions:

	You were wanting some sort of development environment to work in.
	You used setup.exe from the cygwin website to install Cygwin.
	You allowed install to add the cygwin icon to your desktop.
	You launched Cygwin using the desktop icon installed by the Cygwin
	setup utility.

	Now, which of the above assumptions are true?  I can deduce that you 
installed Cygwin because you thought it would meet your basic needs 
regardless of development environment.

	DOS has little to do with Cygwin development.  It only acts as an 
elemental substrata of sorts which is specifically being used to 
support the use of a "Unix like shell" within, amongst other things, a 
Windows based operating system (platform).

	Metaphorically, Cygwin might be considered a nebula of sorts (and yes, 
it can be quite nebulous sometimes ;-)).  The DOS shell is just one 
element in the metaphoric nebulas' gaseous soup.

	Now some questions:

		Are you speaking of Windows 98 or Windows NT4 when you talk about the 
behaviour you noted above?  (This is how I establish the basis of a 
theory where Cygwin is concerned).

	From here the number of causes multiplies, so we need to know which OS 
you are actually using.

	Thanks,

		Paul G.

> 
> Thanks
> 
> I am not a computer guru and have forgotten what little I knew of DOS so
> trying to understand the language of the guidance on your web page does
> me little good, I just don't understand all the lingo.
> 
> Dale E. Mais, Ph.D.
> Research Investigator
> Endocrine Research
> Ligand Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
> 10255 Science Center Dr.
> San Diego, CA   92121
> 
> Phone:  (858) 550-7832
> Fax:      (858) 550-7235
> email:   [email-masked]
> 
> 
> --
> Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
> Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
> Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
> FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
> 
> 

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/