Subject: RE: ssh error 'The descriptor is a file, not a socket'
From: Kris Huber <[email-masked]>
To: "'David Starks-Browning'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 11:00:56 -0700

Thanks David,

The 10/31/2001 snapshot doesn't seem to have the problem.  I replaced only
the cygwin1.dll file of the 1.3.3 release with the 10/31 snapshot of it.
SSHD didn't crash this time, and I can now ssh to my Win98 laptop.  This is
good because my LCD display goes berzerk every once in awhile, and lately
it's seemed to follow Murphy's Law:  it has problems just when I need to run
some Win98 console apps on it.

Jeff, you may want to try out the 10/31 snapshot and see if your problem
goes away too.

-Kris

-----Original Message-----
From: David Starks-Browning [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2001 3:11 PM
To: Kris Huber
Cc: [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: ssh error 'The descriptor is a file, not a socket'

On Friday 2 Nov 01, Kris Huber writes:
> Hello David,
> 
> This morning I tried the snapshots cygwin1-20011101.dll (moved it to
> /bin/cygwin1.dll) and the install stapshot cygwin-20011101.tar.bz2
(unpacked
> it so it replaces many files under /usr - /usr/bin seems aliased to /bin
> somehow).  

You mean cygwin-inst-...?  Did you follow instructions in the FAQ?
You should have unpacked this under /, not /usr.

> With both ways of installing the snapshot, sshd gives
> segmentation fault (worse than what was happening under the release
> version).  Actually, I've noticed that outgoing ssh's and ftp's also seg
> fault, so the problem is unlikely ssh-related, I think.

Indeed, there is something very wrong with the 20011101 cygwin1.dll
snapshot.  That's part of the joy of snapshots!  Try 20011031.

David

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/