Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: vim-6.0.46-1
From: Tyler Close <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Corinna Vinschen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 12:02:32 -0400

I am also having the startup time issues that Scott Brim reported in:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-10/msg00890.html

I am running Cygwin on Windows 98 (not the second edition). I have updated 
the vim package to your latest release vim-6.0.46-1.

When vim starts, the Cygwin window title switches rapidly between vim and 
bash. The number of switches seems to be proportional to the number of 
commands in the .vimrc file. The default vimrc that comes with the 
distribution causes several switches and I get more switches as I add more 
settings. If I run the Cygwin vim from an MS-DOS shell, instead of bash, I 
get several errors of the type:

E79: Cannot expand wildcards

Cannot execute shell sh

I do not get this behaviour if I run the command line vim available from 
vim.org. There is also no noticeable delay in starting up the command line 
vim from vim.org.

I am guessing that a seperate sh process is being started to execute each 
of the commands in .vimrc and that this is the source of the long startup time.

The startup time is currently so long that vim is unusable for quickly 
editing small text files from within a shell.

Tyler

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/