Subject: RE: ssh error 'The descriptor is a file, not a socket'
From: Kris Huber <[email-masked]>
To: "'David Starks-Browning'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 12:28:29 -0700

Hello David,

This morning I tried the snapshots cygwin1-20011101.dll (moved it to
/bin/cygwin1.dll) and the install stapshot cygwin-20011101.tar.bz2 (unpacked
it so it replaces many files under /usr - /usr/bin seems aliased to /bin
somehow).  With both ways of installing the snapshot, sshd gives
segmentation fault (worse than what was happening under the release
version).  Actually, I've noticed that outgoing ssh's and ftp's also seg
fault, so the problem is unlikely ssh-related, I think.

I'll restore my cygwin 1.3.3 now and hope someone can make sense of the ssh
debug log I sent earlier.

Also, the download of source I got for openssh
(openssh-2.9.9p2-1-src.tar.bz2) was corrupted (not a bz2 file).  I
downloaded from both ftp://planetmirror.com and ftp://ftp.nas.nasa.gov and
got the same corrupted file.

Thanks,
Kris

-----Original Message-----
From: David Starks-Browning [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 5:48 PM
To: Kris Huber
Cc: [email-masked]'
Subject: ssh error 'The descriptor is a file, not a socket'

On Thursday 1 Nov 01, Kris Huber writes:
> Hello,
> 
> I'm trying to use cygwin's sshd to allow my Linux box to log into my win98
> computer using the 'ssh host' command.  The authentication goes OK, but
> after 'entering interactive session' I get the following error on the
client
> side:
> 	'getpeername failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket'
> 
> I've also seen 'getsockname failed: The descriptor is a file, not a
socket'
> with some variations of the ssh command options.

Try a snapshot, it should be fixed there.  (But snapshots may
introduce other problems...)

Cheers,
David

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/