Subject: Re: cvs server on cygwin
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: "Charles S. Wilson" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Brandon Kohn <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 07:45:04 -0500

Chuck,

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 03:09:25AM -0500, Charles S. Wilson wrote:
> Thanks for the info.  I was aware that using CVS_RSH + ssh, you can get 
> remote cvs repository access.  However, I was specifically referring to 
> pserver functionality -- I'm still unsure whether that is operational on 
> cygwin.

Since I have never set up CVS pserver functionality on any platform,
I don't' know whether or not pserver will work under Cygwin.  Although,
I can't see why it shouldn't work -- seems like all of the pieces are
there (e.g., inetd, cvs, and crypt).

> Do you think "Don't try pserver; use ssh and CVS_RSH instead" is a good 
> answer?  (Really, I'm asking.  I'd *like* to be able to say that -- it'd 
> cut down on my work...)

IMO, yes.  Why?  Because it is known to work. :,)  Nevertheless, it
would be nice if a motivated person would try out pserver under Cygwin
and report back to the list.  Sorry, but I won't be this person since
I don't have that itch.

Since I started using CVS six years ago, I have been using client/server
mode to access remote repositories.  Up until recently, I always
used rsh access.  Due to the DHCP environment of my current employer,
I have switched over to ssh.  Note that all of these CVS repositories
are Unix based.

About two weeks ago, I set up my first CVS server on a Cygwin box.
Previously, developers were accessing the repository via "local"
file access even if they were remote via CIFS.  This led to very poor
performance even over a T1.  So, now all remote developers are accessing
the repository via ssh and the local ones via CIFS.  And, there was
much rejoicing.

To reiterate, I recommend remote Cygwin CVS access via ssh for the
following reasons:

1. Minimal set up effort -- just set CVS_RSH and CVSROOT appropriately.
This is especially true assuming sshd is already set up.  Otherwise,
setting up sshd is on the order of inetd, but then one must perform the
extra pserver setup steps (e.g., editing /etc/inetd.conf, /etc/services,
and CVSROOT/passwd).
2. One shouldn't use rsh since it does not switch user under Cygwin.

HTH,
Jason

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/