Subject: Re: How to debug inetd/sshd services?
From: "Lassi A. Tuura" <[email-masked]>
To: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 11:58:27 +0100

I wrote:
> Maybe if I try a simple question first: why would cygwin not set
> cygdrive prefix according to the value under the HKLM tree?  I deleted
> the mounts registry entry in HKCU section, so HKLM should now be the
> only setting that could possibly have an effect.  Under what
> circumstances this would be expected?

Pondering about this finally lead me to find the problem: I had
/cygdrive prefix defined under HKU\.DEFAULT\Software. This caused the
system account to get that cygdrive prefix instead of the HKLM value of
`/'.  I am not sure how I managed to create the registry entries under
the .DEFAULT user, but now they are gone and everything works as
expected.  (I am also not sure how I managed to miss them when searching
through the registry the last time, but never mind; it's not the first
driver error...)

A note to the cygwin developers: if the default /cygdrive prefix is
indeed set by setup (= not a driver error here), it would be good
document the conflict in inetutils and sshd documentation.  I assume you
do want the default user settings -- though with sshd/inetd only the
HKLM values matter only anyway, so maybe you don't :-)

(The conflict being that if setup does set the .DEFAULT user cygdrive,
this will cause the inetd and sshd services to ignore the system (HKLM)
cygdrive prefix setting.  Another remedy would be to set the prefix
separately for the system user.)

//lat
-- 
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
	--Aldous Huxley

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/