Subject: Re: cvs server on cygwin
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: Brandon Kohn <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 11:34:16 -0500

Brandon,
Chuck,

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 11:52:19AM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
> Brandon Kohn wrote:
> > I'm tyring to run cvs as a repository server via cygwin and am beginning to
> > wonder if its even possible.  I've been unable to get rsh to work with
> > command (rlogin works, but rsh -l username remotehost <command> doesn't
> > work.  returns permission denied.)  Could somebody throw me a bone on this
> > one?  Perhaps it works with openSSH somehow?  A how-to?
> 
> [snip]
> to my knowledge has followed thru with a detail explanation of how to
> get it to work.  I maintain the cygwin cvs package -- and I don't use it
> as a repository server (of course, I don't use any repository *server*
> -- I store all my stuff in a local repository) -- so I don't know if
> this is possible or how to do it.
> 
> If you figure it out, please report back, and I'll include your tips in
> the next documentation set.

I have successfully set up a Cygwin cvs server via ssh.  Assuming that
you have already set up the clients and the server for SSH, then the
procedure is as simple as setting your CVS_RSH and CVSROOT as follows:

    export CVS_RSH=ssh
    export CVSROOT=:ext:user@host:/path/to/cvs/repository

Note that I am explicitly using ":ext:" instead of ":server:" or omitting
this CVSROOT component all together, so that the above CVSROOT definition
will work with the Win32 cvs CLI and WinCVS GUI too.  Otherwise, these
clients will still use their built-in rsh client code.

However, one may experience group permissions problem in domain
environments.  I'm currently fighting this and some other related issues:

    http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-10/msg01388.html

So, we have temporarily set the CVS repository's permission to Everyone
has Full Control.  I believe that using a Domain group instead of a
Local one to lock down the repository is a possible solution (which I
have not tested yet).  Note that opening up the CVS repository should
not be necessary in workgroup environments.

Jason

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/