Subject: rsh on Windows XP : Please help
From: Matthew Lee <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 12:52:47 +1000

Hi,

I am having a rather difficult time getting rsh to work properly with
networked drives.  I am using CYGWIN_NT-5.1 1.3.3 (on Windows XP
machine).

Basically, I cannot get rsh commands to access networked drives.

On the windows box, I have a samba-shared drive on a Linux box mapped as
drive K.  I want to run a windows-based cross-compiler on the XP
machine, but it needs to access source files on the Linux machine.  The
cross-compiler is to be invoked by a build system (Aegis) running on the
Linux machine.

Running cygwin locally on the windows box gives me (in part) this:

~> mount
k: on /cygdrive/k type user (binmode, noumount)

The inetutils README file indicates that this drive should be in the
system mount table.  I tried : mount -s k: /cygdrive/k, which warned me
that it would always be masked as user mode, but "mount" now display:

~> mount
k: on /cygdrive/k type system (textmode)

Locally, "ls k:" and "ls /cygdrive/k" commands work as expected.

Now, if I rsh from a Linux box, I get (in part):

LinuxBox> rsh windowsBox mount
k: on /cygdrive/k type system (textmode)

However, if I try:

LinuxBox> rsh windowsBox "ls k: 2>&1"
or
LinuxBox> rsh windowsBox "ls /cygdrive/k 2>&1"

I get:
ls: k:: No such file or directory
ls: /cygdrive/k: No such file or directory

If I telnet into the windows machine, supplying both a login name and
password, I get exactly the same results as the above "mount" and "ls"
commands supplied via rsh.

inetd is running on the XP machine as LocalSystem.

What's going wrong?  Any help appreciated!

Regards,
Matt
Smart Container

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/