Subject: Re: chmod/chown + ntsec doesn't work (was OpenSSH and RSA authentication problems)
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: Peter Buckley <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 14:12:44 -0400

Peter,

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 10:40:10AM -0400, Peter Buckley wrote:
> But, chown still doesn't work.

I just stumbled over chown not working under certain conditions from
a ssh login myself.  If I ssh into a domain machine without supplying
a password, then I seem to be restricted in the operations that I
can do -- even though I am a member of the local Administrators group.
For example, I cannot chown a (local) file nor start/stop a service.
However, if I ssh via password exchange, then I can perform these operations.

On the other hand, if I ssh to a workgroup machine, then I can perform
these operations regardless of how I authenticate.

I know that it has been noted that one cannot access network shares from
a ssh login due to running under the LocalSystem account.  But, I was
surprised by the chown and start/stop service restrictions since I
perceived them to be local operations.

Anyway, I'm not sure if you are in a domain environment or not.  But if
you are, then this could explain the behavior that you were observing.

Jason

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/