Subject: RE: mysqlc
From: "Robert Collins" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 15:15:22 +1000

Hi Miguel,

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Miguel Angel Solórzano [mailto:[email-masked]]
> 
> At 13:43 24/10/2001 +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> Hi Robert,
> 
> The source still isn't provide with the distribution file.
> If you know how I can get the mysqlc code, instructions for

You folk have the source for mysqlc - as far as I know it's simply the
standard mysql tool, built using ./configure under (a rather old)
cygwin. 

> compile it and the source. I will be happy to add all this

The source for cygwin to allow building cygwinb19.dll is available via
anonymous CVS from sources.redhat.com. Their is a website,
www.cygwin.com that includes a webpage describing how to access the CVS
repository, and what module to grab. You'll need go back some years in
the repository to grab the source for the version of cygwin you are
distributing today.

> in our next distribution.

If I might suggest another option or two...

background: cygwin has it's own setup.exe (loosely modelled after
rpm/deb style installers and getting more so as time goes by (straight
ports of rpm et al don't work because of the win32
can't-replace-open-files issue) that users can use to install Cygwin.

Suggestion #1 (easiest for everyone, IMO).

* Provide a cygwin-1.3.x linked mysqlc in your win32 distribution.
Creating this is as easy as downloading cygwin to a win32 machine and
simply compiling mysql on it. If you don't have a win32 machine, I'm
sure that with a quick ask around we can find a mysql user from the
cygwin list that can contribute a pre-built client for you to
distribute. Or at worst, it's very easy to build a cygwin cross compiler
on linux and create the exe there. (That's how I build most of my cygwin
binaries anyway).
* Instruct your users to install cygwin from the cygwin web site. This
will ensure that cygwin is installed correctly.

Suggestion #2
* As before provide a recent cygwin linked mysqlc....
* take a copy of cygwin's setup.exe, and include it, along with
cygwin-1.3.x.tar.bz2 (the binary) and cygwin-1.3.x-src.tar.bz2 (the
source) and a stripped setup.ini in your distribution. Then have your
users run setup.exe to install cygwin. This is a safe approach that will
not conflict with the cygwin installed from the cygwin website.

--- Simply copying cygwin1.dll to the System/system32 directory is not a
complete install, and generates mailing lists headaches on the cygwin
list---.

There is a third option - to have someone provide a cygwin 'package'
with the mysql client (and potentially the mysql server) in it to the
cygwin list. As you already provide binaries I don't think that this
option makes sense. I'm only touching it for completeness.

Cheers,
Rob

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/