Subject: Re: Compiling/Compatability with Linux
From: "Fergus" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 17:02:10 +0100

Yes, I had success with the text editor nano (the pico lookalike - but
better) available from www.nano-editor.org. It comes as a .tar.gz file that
you can explode in the usual way. After

    ./compile

there's a Makefile file that leads inexorably to an installation failure
unless it is first edited. As follows: find the line

    LIBS = -lncurses

in Makefile and change it to

    LIBS = -lncurses -lintl

Then (well: this was my experience anyway) the two lines

    make
    make install

work perfectly: and hey presto, I've got nano.

Note 1. Sorry, I've no idea whether this will work for you and what you
want.

Note 2. It would be nice if nano could be one of the applications provided
direct from Cygwin, but I don't know how to ask, or who to ask; and I will
probably be told: "You want it, you do it" which is perfectly fair, except
that I don't know how to do it. (Provide it, that is.)

Fergus

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/