Subject: Re: cygrunsrv: possible solution to a common problem -- suggested patch
From: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 15:40:05 -0500

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 08:21:17PM +0100, Miles Sabin wrote:
> suggested that adding --dep LanmanWorkstation would help.
> 
> And it did ... automatic startup now seems to work perfectly. My
> hunch is that this will also cure startup problems with other daemons
> which attempt to bind ports early on in their startup sequence.

Very good!

Since I've messed with the cygrunsrv source before, I took a few
minutes to write up an addition to the cygrunsrv.README file to
describe the solution that you found.

I no longer follow the Cygwin developer lists, so I'm posting the
suggested patch here.

-- 
Fred Yankowski           [email-masked]      tel: +1.630.879.1312
Principal Consultant     www.OntoSys.com       fax: +1.630.879.1370
OntoSys, Inc             38W242 Deerpath Rd, Batavia, IL 60510, USA

--
2001-10-22  Fred Yankowski  <[email-masked]>

	* cygrunsrv.README: Suggest dependency on LanmanWorkstation.

--

Index: cygrunsrv.README
===================================================================
RCS file: /home/cvs/cvsroot/src/cygrunsrv/cygrunsrv.README,v
retrieving revision 1.2
diff -u -p -r1.2 cygrunsrv.README
--- cygrunsrv.README	2001/06/28 20:31:56	1.2
+++ cygrunsrv.README	2001/10/22 20:36:21
@@ -331,6 +331,16 @@ appropriate code to run as Windows servi
 of cygrunsrv.
 
 **********************************************
+Troubleshooting
+
+If the service fails to start, consider whether the service process
+depends on other services and reinstall the service using the '--dep'
+parameter to ensure that those other services are running first.  In
+particular, any service application that uses network services (such
+as socket connections) depends on the "Workstation" service; this
+dependency can be declared as '--dep LanmanWorkstation'.
+
+**********************************************
 Contact Information
 
 For support, contact the cygwin mailing list [email-masked].  cygrunsrv was originally created by Corinna Vinschen.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/