Subject: IRC #cygwin (was: Re: 1.3.3 gcc problem)
From: Punk Page Peter <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 01:00:17 +0200

Hi!

> Maybe I'm just a luddite -- I don't do the IRC thing or the IM thing --
> but how does having an IRC channel help?

Well, at least it's a point where Cygwin users can meet eachother and
share their ideas. You can do the same with an e-mail list, only now you
can respond quicker.
Basicly, it's usefull for people who are to lazy to wait for an e-mail
respond. However, this only works if there are some more people on the
channel.

> If the idea is to "decrease
> the amount of crap on this list" -- where would the crap go?  To the IRC
> channel?

For example... ;)

> If so, then who is going to volunteer to sit there in the channel
> waiting for the crap?

Those who want to. It's not only waiting for the crap, it's also just
fun chatting (if you like chatting, ofcourse...).

> And (heaven forbid) if there is an actual,
> non-crap question asked in the channel, and someone (surprised by the
> unexpected non-crap) answers it -- that non-crap exchange is not
> archived in the mailing list archives...it's just *gone*.

You could however let your IRC program log the channel... Or post the
non-crap to the list to make the archive complete.

> My point (and again, maybe I'm just a luddite 'cause I don't "get it"):
> how is this different -- from a logistical standpoint -- than just
> setting up a second, competing mailing list?

It's not ment as a 2nd mailing list, just as a chat channel. You can
however just join the chat for a minute and leave if you don't like it.
From Bash type in irc (so at the same time you now have a reason for
having that program pre-installed too) and type /server irc.xs4all.nl
and when you're connected /join #cygwin (although it's kinda empty now,
so far only Europeans have joined the chat and it's night in Europe
now).

> yeah yeah IRC real time blah blah no waiting biddy blah

yup... ;)

Greetz,
Peter.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/