Subject: Re: Hit a problem with GDB and cygwin
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 19:20:09 +0200

> Christopher Faylor schrieb am 2001-10-15 12:09:

>On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 08:54:27AM +0200, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>>Jonathan M. Hill schrieb am 2001-10-14, 23:38:
>>
>>Hi Jonathan,
>>
>>>When I bring up GDB, the Insight window appears along with the
>>>source code, but when I click the "run" button, Insight indicates
>>>that it received an unknown signal and then locks up.
>>[...]
>>>gdb: unknown target exception 0x000006d1 at 0x77e8f142
>>
>>Robert was a little impatient in his reply, so I want to say some more
>>words.  It is an old bug in gdb which was discovered this month in
>>cygwin's gdb.  Work is in progress to fix it.
>
>Actually, Robert was showing people how they can find answers to
>problems themselves rather than asking for other people to help them.
>
>It's the "teach a person to fish" analogy.  You seem to be intent on
>being "kind" by answering each repetitive question with information,
>helping people to grow dependent on the "Ask the mailing list whenever I
>have a question" way of doing things.  This is commendable but it is,
>IMO, a misplaced effort.

Alright, "teach a person to fish" is a much more gentler way to say it 
as ST*MLA, RT*M, ST*W.
The problem I have with such kind of answers is a very personal one.
I don't know every short version to write s.th. down (I know IMO, IMHO
and some others, maybe ten or twenty different), so I'm a beginner
in that case and I think the most people on Internet are beginners
according to this issue. Maybe it is a way to communicate with friends,
but I think it is not appropriate on a list which is wide open for
everyone especially for newbies.

>Your technique works great as long as you are always here to answer
>questions.  It breaks down when you are not available.  On the other
>hand, the mailing list archives are always going to be available so if
>people get into the habit of checking them first they would be able to
>answer their questions more quickly, and probably more definitively.

I agree with this completely.
And I like more the technique that was 'invented' some times ago which
includes posting a link to google, so the people are able to see
after one click, that it would be much easier to type in some words
at google as it is to write a complete email to the list.

Also I think there are some more fulltime volunteers needed who read
the list the most time like you and some others, but the etiquette here
is a little bit rough sometimes so again the newbies will be deterred 
fast and maybe never come back to read this list. 

Just my 2c,

Gerrit
-- 
=^..^=

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/