Subject: Re: AFSTokenPassing
From: "Jochen Küpper" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: 15 Oct 2001 13:22:15 -0400

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001 07:56:19 -0500 Zdzislaw Meglicki wrote:

Zdzislaw> [email-masked]:

Zdzislaw> How are other people handling that (AFS and ssh under Cygwin)? In
Zdzislaw> the archive I only found one message, I've tried to contact the
Zdzislaw> author and am waiting for a reply.

Zdzislaw> AFS and Ssh don't coexist well anyway. This depends on the
Zdzislaw> platform. For example there are no problems at all under AIX, but this
Zdzislaw> is because of AIX very special authentication mechanisms, which are
Zdzislaw> transparent to external programs, such as ssh. Under Solaris you would
Zdzislaw> expect that ssh would work with AFS through PAM, but it doesn't unless
Zdzislaw> you backtrack to an older version of ssh and then apply some patches.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Zdzislaw> If you connect to your PC via console, and if you have IBM
Zdzislaw> AFS, then you can configure to have transparent login to the
Zdzislaw> AFS at the same time.  This is how I work with AFS on my
Zdzislaw> PC. When I open Cygwin window then, AFS tokens transfer to
Zdzislaw> this window and everything works just fine.

"Everything" beeing access to AFS network drives? Yes, that does work
fine. 

To me "everything" very crucially includes the ability to ssh to a
computer on which my home-dir is on an AFS volume. I can do that using
passwd-authentication right now. It would be really helpfull to get it
working with pubkey-auth so I don't have to type my password all the
time...

Well, I got our DCI-Department working on that, lets see what they
come up with.

Still I appreciate Zdzislaw comments and any other hints I might get.

Greetings,
Jochen
- -- 
Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit                http://www.Jochen-Kuepper.de
    Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité                GnuPG key: 44BCCD8E
        Sex, drugs and rock-n-roll

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/