Subject: Re: LPRng for Cygwin
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 18:05:16 +0200

> Luke Bakken schrieb am 2001-10-12 8:32:

>Hi all,
>
>LPRng for cygwin is avaliable at
>http://ics-server.interface-net.com/~lbakken/lprng-cygwin.html
>
>This is my first port of something to Cygwin, so documentation
>improvements and bug fixes are most appreciated.  I've been using it for
>the past few days instead of the less than steller WinNT lpd system.  It's
>nice to be able to redirect input into lpr!

I suggest that is not a good idea to remove SYSTEM from the passwd file
and to modify the group file.
At least one example, from the cron readme:
"Note that this requires that /etc/group has been created and
contains the default SYSTEM entry, gid 18. DON'T CHANGE THAT!"

So I suggest, the better idea is to modify the source so it fits
with the existing passwd and group files, or a 'new' account needs
to be invented, like Biggs did it with 'bind', there you create a
user 'bin' a group cyg-bin' in the NT useradministration and after
adding it to the group/passwd file, the group 'cyg-bin' is renamed
to bin, now you have what you need.

Maybe it is possible to duplicate the SYSTEM entry and then change
the gid, but I'm not sure about this.

Gerrit

-- 
=^..^=

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/