Subject: Re: Multiple cygwin installs: I have to do it, but how?
From: "Robert Collins" <[email-masked]>
To: "Charles Wilson" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 09:31:50 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: "Charles Wilson" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2001 7:41 AM
Subject: Re: Multiple cygwin installs: I have to do it, but how?

> OK, then hang complete Cygwin Registry trees under the root key for
the
> specific install, as I had initially suggested in my prior post.  The
> details don't matter, since there is no implementation.  Global access
is
> needed, no matter if the Registry is used or not.  Still, not
everything
> needs to go in the Registry: Only the minimum needed to uniquely
> distinguish multiple installations, and to allow them to function
properly.
> Everything else should go in files within the specific Cygwin
installation.
> That's all.

Hmm, remember that the registry _location_ is that unique identifier! So
it's already implemented and extant. Changing it at runtime is not
possible (with whatever scheme you create) because of the bootstrap
issue.

> Remember, each user gets their own view of the registry
> (HKEY_CURRRENT_USER).  The Cygwin installer (setup.exe) allows you to
> specify if an installation is for "just me" or for "all", which in
turn
> determines the area of the registry into which the Cygwin keys are
placed.
> That policy would not have to change.  We simply would need to manage
them
> appropriately.

> Hmmm, what does Cygwin do when both sets of keys exist?  That is, one
> installation was done for "just me" and another for "all"?  I suppose
> cygwin1.dll would have to check both places, but which is checked
first?
> If the first exists, is the other ever accessible?  Or are both needed
and
> used?

Both are needed and used. If a system (aka all) mount point conflicts
with a user mount point then the user mount takes precedence. System
mount points are needed for running services, and also for allowing
global settings to be set easily.

Rob

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/