Subject: RE: Problem calling a cygwin-built-DLL from a MSVC-built-app
From: Mark Mims <[email-masked]>
To: "'Charles Wilson '" <[email-masked]>, Mark Mims <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]' '" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 07:39:28 -0500

Sorry, my bad, the dllhelpers versions were 0.2.5 and 0.2.9, not 2's.
Version 0.2.5 is available from Mumit Khan's site (below), and the 0.2.9 I
got from yours (
http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/V1.1/dll-stuff/ ).  

The excel callable gnu DLLs aren't distributed with the dllhelpers but are a
separate set of apps available from Mumit Khan's site (
http://www.nanotech.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/ ).

I had not noticed the auto-import stuff... I'll look into that next.

Thanks,
Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Charles Wilson
To: Mark Mims
Cc: [email-masked]'
Sent: 10/11/01 12:32 AM
Subject: Re: Problem calling a cygwin-built-DLL from a MSVC-built-app

Mark Mims wrote:

> I'm trying to call a cygwin-built DLL from a MSVC-6.0-built app.
> 
> First question, Is this even possible?  Mumit Khan's dllhelper page
has some
> example DLLs that are supposed to be callable from an excel
spreadsheet...
> which seems to imply that what I'm trying to do has been done before.
> However, I haven't even been able to get the excel examples to work.
I have
> downloaded the dllhelpers (both 2.2.5 and 2.2.9),

Mumit's "dllhelpers" package never got beyond version 0.2.5.  I have no 
idea where "2.2.5" and "2.2.9" came from.

> and the examples work fine
> for a cywin app calling a cygwin DLL or a vc6 app calling a vc6 DLL,
but no
> luck on trying to mix.
> 
> I've found quite a mess of stuff on building cygwin and mingw DLLs
from
> Google, but nothing so far seems to work.  I have noticed that things
seem
> to have changed considerably when dllwrap was introduced.  
> 
> Can anybody point to examples and/or docs for recent versions of the
tools?
> I'm now thinking (grasping) I might just be having versioning
problems,
> where I'm trying to use techniques that only worked with older
versions of
> gcc, dlltool, dllwrap, etc (?).

The most recent version of dllhelpers (updated to correspond to the 
latest tools) is here:
http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/V1.1/dll-stuff/

However, there's nothing there about calling the DLL from Excel.  I know

nothing about *that* particular problem.  Note that recent dllhelpers 
(and new binutils) take advantage of special GNU-ld.exe tricks for 
building "auto-import" DLLs.  You'll have to do it the "medium-old" way 
  -- say, dllhelpers-0.2.6 ? -- if you want MSVC and/or MSExcel to 
understand it.  I think.

--Chuck

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/