Subject: Re: Perl 5.7.2 (GDB breaks in 1.3.3-2 on certain Win2000 machines )
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 15:33:11 -0400

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 12:05:11PM -0700, Kris Erickson wrote:
>More weirdness...  The latest CVS version version of uinfo.cc does not 
>seem to break, although the compiler seems to have optimized out the 
>second call to NetUserGetInfo()...  However, the first call to
>NetUserGetInfo
>seems to succeed...  Here is a debugging session...

Finally!  Feedback!

FWIW, the CVS version is the same as the snapshot.  There have been
no winsup/cygwin CVS updates since the snapshot.

I indicated that there was an outside chance that I'd fixed the problem
so it is not unbelievably surprising that things would be working now.
It is very surprising that a CVS-built version would differ from the
snapshot, though.

If you think that the compiler has optimized out the second call to
NetUserGetInfo (which would be very strange) then build uinfo.o with
optimization turned off.

    rm uinfo.o
    make CFLAGS='-gstabs+ -MD'

There is no guarantee that optimized code will be easy to debug so
it is often necessary to turn off optimization when you want to
do serious debugging.

For the curious, the difference in this code that I thought might
solve the problem was setting the ui variable to NULL prior to the
second invocation of NetUserGetInfo.

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/