Subject: Re: Libnet, libpcap, winpcap...
From: Warren Young <[email-masked]>
To: Cygwin-L <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 09:52:33 -0600

Simon Ouellette wrote:
> 
> 1 - Is it possible to install Libnet and/or libpcap in cygwin ? 

Unlikely.  A casual search of the mailing list archives at tcpdump.org
indicates that WinPCap's changes haven't been backported into libpcap. 
This is no doubt possible, if you wanted to do it.  

Several Unixy programs ship with an MSVC makefile or project file that
drags in Windows-specific code.  You could do that, as well as updating
their autoconf stuff to recognize Cygwin and build that way.  Then you
could build winpcap for both sets of Windows development tools.

> 2 - Can I write C programs under Cygwin that use the WinPCap library I
> installed ? 

Cygwin's ld can link in MSVC libraries, can't it?  If that's correct,
then I don't see why this wouldn't be possible.

> what would the name of the WinPCap
> library be(if it's possible to use it) ?

Download the package from http://netgroup-serv.polito.it/winpcap and
find out.

This server is frequently down, so be patient about getting in.

> 3 - Are IP raw sockets supported or not under Cygwin ?

Only to the extent that Windows itself supports raw sockets, I'm sure. 
See my FAQ (link below) for details.  Item 4.1 in particular.
-- 
= Winsock Programmer's FAQ: http://tangentsoft.net/wskfaq/
= 
= ICBM Address: 36.8274040 N, 108.0204086 W, alt. 1714m

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/