Subject: Re: Perl 5.7.2
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 15:01:20 -0400

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 12:24:03PM -0400, John Peacock wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> 
>> On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 10:31:28AM -0400, John Peacock wrote:
>> >There are two issues:
>> >
>> >1) CygWin 1.3.3 breaks gdb under Win2K (cannot set breakpoints);
>> 
>> No, it doesn't.  You may have problems using gdb for some reason but I
>> use gdb on a daily basis on W2K with no problems.
>> 
>> As always, I can't fix what I can't debug.  This, of course, means
>> that the debugging is left to people who have the problem.
>> 
>> Said people seem to be incapable of doing more than complaining about
>> the problem and posting stack traces, however.  So, as always, this bug
>> will go unfixed because everyone who experiences the problem is "too
>> busy", "too disgusted", "too apathetic", or "too unknowledgeable" to fix
>> the problem.
>
>My initial response to this message is "FUCK YOU" but I'm sure this 
>would be perceived as overly hostile, which is of course _your_ 
>problem.

Hmm.  I was stating simple facts based on a lot of experience in these
situations.  Judging by your reaction, my words were overly harsh and
sounded like an attack rather than an expression of frustration, so I
apologize for the tone.  I can't apologize for the facts since they are
correct.

>I am too busy working on patches to Perl to make it ready to ship 5.8
>to debug CygWin.  I like CygWin; I use CygWin every day; nonetheless,
>it is a minor platform in the Perl universe.  I have even seen a note
>from a developer imploring others to NOT port his software to Win32
>platform , EVEN UNDER CYGWIN, because the platform is so limited.  I am
>stuck with Win2K/NT as a corporate limitation so I guess I am stuck
>with CygWin.

I'm not sure what this information is intended to convey.  There isn't
much I, or anyone, can do to deal with other people's attitudes.

I can actually very much understand why someone would ask not to have
his software ported to Windows.  It raises the support requirements
alarmingly.  And, it's not necessarily because the platform is so
limited.  It's equally likely that the user base is also limited.

>What I posted was not "It doesn't work for me" but was EVERYTHING I
>COULD THINK OF that might help someone HELP ME.  I searched the
>archives and found several other people foolish enough to post and the
>deafening silence from anyone who might know what was going on.  My
>posting has exactly 1 followup, and that was from me.

Actually, this thread, with the subject "Help...  GDB no longer works
after updating" had discussion on this problem:

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-09/msg01182.html

>I am so happy that gdb debugging works for you using 1.3.3-2 or are
>you using a snapshot or CVS copy?  You don't say, presumably because
>you are TOO FUCKING IMPORTANT to talk to the plebes.

Sorry.  Since we were discussing 1.3.3-2, I thought it went without
saying that I was referring to 1.3.3-2.

So, let me turn this back to you. Have you tried any of the cygwin
snapshots to see if they alleviate your problem?  I'm not aware of
any development which could have fixed this but, then, I'm not aware
of anything that could break it either.

>for me and only replacing 1.3.3 with 1.3.2 fixes it.  Therefore, I 
>think I am on pretty safe ground saying that 1.3.3-2 breaks gdb
>debugging for Perl.  That is a qualified statement, since you don't
>seem to recognize that I'll repeat it:
>
>	1.3.3-2 breaks gdb debugging with Perl
>
>Don't tell me you cannot fix it until you can see the error, when you
>have not shown any interest in recreating my environment, as specified
>exactly in my earlier post.

Hmm.  I've been (mildly) criticized here when I respond to too many
messages ("let other people handle it") and now I'm assailed for not
being more responsive.

I saw your original message which actually did provide a surprising
amount of detail but I really don't have the time to load bleadperl
(whatever that might be) onto my system in an attempt to try to
duplicate your problem.  So, I guess this is a pretty classic stalemate.

As I mentioned previously, the optimal way to deal with this would be
for someone who has the problem to debug what's going on.  The
discussion in the thread that I mentioned had a couple of suggestions
for how to accomplish this.

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/