Subject: Re: Perl 5.7.2
From: Ken Thompson <[email-masked]>
To: John Peacock <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 12:40:24 -0400

At 12:24 PM 10/8/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 10:31:28AM -0400, John Peacock wrote:
> > >There are two issues:
> > >
> > >1) CygWin 1.3.3 breaks gdb under Win2K (cannot set breakpoints);
> >
> > No, it doesn't.  You may have problems using gdb for some reason but I
> > use gdb on a daily basis on W2K with no problems.
> >
> > As always, I can't fix what I can't debug.  This, of course, means
> > that the debugging is left to people who have the problem.
> >
> > Said people seem to be incapable of doing more than complaining about
> > the problem and posting stack traces, however.  So, as always, this bug
> > will go unfixed because everyone who experiences the problem is "too
> > busy", "too disgusted", "too apathetic", or "too unknowledgeable" to fix
> > the problem.
> >
> > cgf
>
>My initial response to this message is "FUCK YOU" but I'm sure this
>would be perceived as overly hostile, which is of course _your_
>problem.
>
>I am too busy working on patches to Perl to make it ready to ship 5.8
>to debug CygWin.  I like CygWin; I use CygWin every day; nonetheless,
>it is a minor platform in the Perl universe.  I have even seen a note
>from a developer imploring others to NOT port his software to Win32
>platform , EVEN UNDER CYGWIN, because the platform is so limited.  I
>am stuck with Win2K/NT as a corporate limitation so I guess I am stuck
>with CygWin.
>
>What I posted was not "It doesn't work for me" but was EVERYTHING I
>COULD THINK OF that might help someone HELP ME.  I searched the
>archives and found several other people foolish enough to post and
>the deafening silence from anyone who might know what was going on.
>My posting has exactly 1 followup, and that was from me.
>
>I am so happy that gdb debugging works for you using 1.3.3-2 or are
>you using a snapshot or CVS copy?  You don't say, presumably because
>you are TOO FUCKING IMPORTANT to talk to the plebes.  It does not work
>for me and only replacing 1.3.3 with 1.3.2 fixes it.  Therefore, I
>think I am on pretty safe ground saying that 1.3.3-2 breaks gdb
>debugging for Perl.  That is a qualified statement, since you don't
>seem to recognize that I'll repeat it:

Note. This is not what you said the first time. This is what you said the 
first time

CygWin 1.3.3 breaks gdb under Win2K (cannot set breakpoints);

Chris pointed out that this is not true.  You then changed your 
statement.  I suppose if someone else cannot reproduce your problem with 
Perl you will change your statement again.  Why should anyone attempt to 
debug your problem if you are unwilling to narrow it down to something that 
they can reproduce.  After all this is a free software project.

>         1.3.3-2 breaks gdb debugging with Perl
>
>Don't tell me you cannot fix it until you can see the error, when you
>have not shown any interest in recreating my environment, as specified
>exactly in my earlier post.
>
>Needless to say, followups to /dev/null, since I will be unsubscribing
>from this list immediately after posting.  Thanks for listening.

You would be banned anyway because you are unable to express yourself 
without using the F*** word.  I would have expected someone in your 
position to be more articulate.

>John
>
>--
>John Peacock
>Director of Information Research and Technology
>Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group
>4720 Boston Way
>Lanham, MD 20706
>301-459-3366 x.5010
>fax 301-429-5747
>
>--
>Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
>Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
>Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
>FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/

Ken Thompson                             GTRI/ELSYS/SEN
(404) 894-7089 (VOICE)              (770)-223-6770 (PAGER)
(404) 894-7080 (FAX)                   [email-masked]
The productivity of a software engineering process is inversely 
proportional to the paperwork it generates and the meetings it requires. -- 
Ken Thompson 

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/