Subject: Blindly running setup.exe to update Cygwin
From: "Fergus on Linux" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Fergus on Linux" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 20:42:12 +0100

Sorry: I too returned from a week away and updated Cygwin by blindly running
http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe, installing all updates without reading any
associated announcements. So I broke vim (and maybe other components
besides). Such a curse: I've had a trouble-free highly robust system for
months now, and regularly but mutely congratulate the developers on this
splendid, clean OS and its hassle-free update procedure.

Q1. OK: what to do? Apparently the cure is "Just reinstall the 'libncurses5'
package" which will be just fine, when I discover how to do it. I'm afraid
I've only ever used setup.exe, which is now just showing "Nothing to
re-install". Please will somebody just tell me what to do, to achieve this
necessary re-installation?

Q2. Actually, what I did was this: I wiped the whole system, including all
mentions of "Cygnus Solutions" from the registry, re-booted, and then
re-installed from ground zero, using setup.exe. I had kind of thought that
somehow the whole issue of {FIRST ncurses THEN terminfo, libncurses5,
libncurses6} would in this way be correctly addressed. But it wasn't and [as
far as I can tell] I've ended up in the identical situation, broken vim and
all. So: it appears to me that a new user installing Cygwin *today* would
necessarily find themselves with a system that's "broken" in the way
described. Is this really so? And is the recovery procedure still "Just
reinstall the 'libncurses5' package"?

Notwithstanding the small design glitch implied by Q2, if what is
hypthesized there is true, Cygwin is a great OS with an easy setup/upgrade
instruction: for once, not mutely, *thanks*.

Fergus

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/