Subject: RE: Bug: Bash fails to execute script w/ same name as W2K program (despite proper PATH ordering)
From: "Francis Litterio" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 11:20:47 -0400

Hack Kampbjørn wrote:

> Francis Litterio wrote:
> >
> > Using Bash 2.05.0(8) under Cygwin 1.3.1-1, a shell script named the
same
> > as a program in c:\winnt\system32 is not executed, even if it is in
a
> > directory that appears ahead of /cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32 in the
value
> > of PATH.  To reproduce:
>
> I cannot reproduce it. Well, I'm actual setting it to executable
('chmod
> +x') without that yes, but then that's expected behavior, if it's not
> executable don't run it !

That doesn't work for me.  Can it be because I'm using a FAT32
filesystem?  According to "ls" the permissions on the script are 755
from the moment it is created:

  bash$ ls -l /tmp/ipconfig
  -rwxr-xr-x   1 litterio None        26 Oct  4 13:25 /tmp/ipconfig

I notice that files which are not scripts have permissions of 644, so
"ls" must be reading the first block of the file and looking for the
"#!" to know to display the permissions as 755.

Or am I missing some trick to allow FAT32 filesystems to have UNIX-like
permissions?  Maybe some special mount option or environment variable?
--
Francis Litterio
Software Engineer
Pyxsys Corproration
[email-masked]
978-371-9115 x131

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/