Subject: Re: apache-1.3.x strange behaviour on keep-alives
From: "Robert Collins" <[email-masked]>
To: "Stipe Tolj" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 18:06:48 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stipe Tolj" <[email-masked]>
To: "Robert Collins" <[email-masked]>
>
> > If you have the time to search for this, what you do is
> > * setup a cygwin1.dll build environment from CVS (as per the cygwin
web
> > site).
> > * pick a date - say half-way between 1.3.2 and 1.3.3.
> > use CVS -z3 up -Pd -D "10th June 2001" to get the CVS repository
udpated
> > to that specific date. (run this command in src/winsup, and in
> > src/newlib).
> > run make in the build dir.
> > copy new-cygwin1.dll to /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll
> > Test.
> > Iterate moving the date forward or backwards, in a binary search
pattern
> > (ie 1/4 of the date distance between 1.3.3 and 1.3.4, and the next
step
> > is 1/8th and so on.
>
> Thanks for the instructions. The problem is that the effect is shown
> after a couple of days incoming HTTP requests to the httpd. Usually
> you can not simulate it using benchmark tools like apache's ab :(( --
> so an interative approach to get back to a working DLL versions seems
> very inconvienent.

Yes thats true. That is in fact why I have not had the time to do it
yet.

> That's why I am trying to ask the Cygwin core folks to assist me.

I'm one of them. I'm assisting you :}.

The first thing _someone_ has to do is identify _when_ the bad behaviour
was introduced. Then it's realistic to scream "<cvs committers name>"
Why, Oh Why, did you do this to apache and squid!!. Until then, there is
no point.

If you want this solved, build a .dll from 1/2 way between, and then
install it. If it doesn't show the symptom, go forward 1/4 the time.

I'm willing to bet that only four iterations will be needed to isolate a
single ChangeLog entry that affects sockets/tcp. At that point,even if
there are more changes in the time period, it's pretty certain which one
will be the culprit.

Rob

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/