Subject: RE: DLL Win 2000
From: "Asbenson, Lyndell L" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Charles Wilson'" <[email-masked]>, "Asbenson, Lyndell L" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 14:39:16 -0700

Chuck,
We are just about there, one more question. I have
a gpib-32.dll which now works properly I also have 
a Microsoft C++ gpib_lang_ms.obj file which is a language
interface file. In using the -mno-cygwin I don't get any
errors but when I compile the program and run the .exe
it runs into memory violations. Is there another way of 
using or compiling in language.obj object files?
Thanks,
Lyndell Lee Asbenson

-----Original Message-----
From: Charles Wilson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2001 2:52 PM
To: Asbenson, Lyndell L
Cc: [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: DLL Win 2000

Asbenson, Lyndell L wrote:

> I have national instruments drivers for a GPIB device and all that they
> offer
> is DLLs and Language interfaces for Borland C++ or Microsoft C++. I have
> also
> look at your DLL conversion process 5 steeps. Is there any tool that will
> convert a DLL 32 bit to a static library where I could use this in the
> Cygwin
> environment?

Sort of.  You can create an gcc-style import library for the DLL (search 
for help/docu on 'dlltool' for more information).  This import lib will 
work with both cygwin's gcc and with mingw's gcc.

However, the odds are that any code you write must be compiled with the 
'gcc -mno-cygwin' option of cygwin's compiler, or you should just use 
the mingw compiler.  The reason for this is that the NI DLL *probably* 
was built to depend on msvcrt.dll, not cygwin1.dll.  Since both of these 
provide runtime services - and you can only have one runtime lib for a 
given app - your app will also have to be linked against msvcrt.dll (not 
cygwin1.dll)  Ergo, -mno-cygwin (or just use mingw comiler, not cygwin 
compiler).  You can check the dependencies of your NI DLL thus:
  cygcheck my_ni_dll.dll

--Chuck

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/