Subject: Re: inconsistent inetd rsh behavior with unc paths
From: Mark Himsley <[email-masked]>
To: Peter Buckley <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 13:40:23 +0100

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001 15:59:15 -0400 you wrote:

>I just wanted to point out something I found while I am 
>trying to get rsh to work- 
>
>If I have //unc-path/to-my/home as my home directory 
>in /etc/passwd, I CANNOT rsh to my machine when 
>inetd is started as a service (whether I start it 
>or SYSTEM starts it). But if I start inetd from the 
>command line, rsh works fine. 
>
>I don't know what the intended behavior is for rsh or 
>inetd, but I don't understand why they work differently 
>when started as a service or started from the command line. 
>Maybe an environment thing? If anyone can point me in the 
>right direction, I think it might help me in my quest to get 
>rsh working with inetd as a service.

Clue: when you run as a service its probably running as the user SYSTEM
(check in the Services control panel). When you run it from the command
line its running as your you. Does your user SYSTEM have access to your
UNC paths? Probably not.

--
Mark Himsley
In Acton

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/