Subject: Re: Question about cygwin on network
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: "Mirza, Aaqib" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 11:46:47 -0400

Aaqib,

In the future, please post to [email-masked] instead of
sending private email, so others can benefit too.

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 04:31:49PM +0100, Mirza, Aaqib wrote:
> Hello, I know this is an old mail from an archive something you sent long
> ago, but I am interested in installing cygwin on the network share and then
> allowing users to use utilities from this share over the network. From what
> you say below this is feasible. Can you give me any hints on how best to do
> this?
> 
> Thanks
> ~Aaqib 
> 
> Forward from mail archive.
> 
> I'm not sure what is a "vob in ClearCase" ... but we have been running
> Cygwin from a NT network share for years.  I have a Setup Only install
> script that I can send you if you are interested.  The script performs
> the following:
> 
>     1. sets up mounts (unmounts old ones, if necessary)
>     2. defines/modifies environment variables (CYGWIN, MAKE_MODE, PATH)
>     3. broadcasts that the Registry has changed by sending
>        a WM_WININICHANGE message

IIRC, the above was used (by my old company) when setup.exe was still
in its infancy.  I no longer recommend this approach.  Instead, I
recommend sharing a local Cygwin mirror on a network share and have
everyone install from it.  The only downside is that every Cygwin user
will waste a couple of hundred megabytes.  However, very large disks are
very cheap now a days.

My new approach integrates the old one with setup.exe's postinstall
functionality.  Attached is the source that produces a postinstall
package which is installable by setup.exe.  After installation,
setup.exe's postinstall functionality will automatically run setup.sh
which sets up environment variables, create program groups and shortcuts,
etc.

I recommend studying setup.sh.  Hopefully, it will provide you with the
hints for which you are looking.  However, YMMV.

Jason
--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/