Subject: Re: Why cygwin forced convert all input and output to OEM or ANSI ?
From: Kazuhiro Fujieda <[email-masked]>
To: egor duda <[email-masked]>
Cc: Alexander Gotlib <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Sep 2001 22:19:47 +0900

Hi, Egor.

>>> On Tue, 25 Sep 2001 16:35:33 +0400
>>> egor duda <[email-masked]> said:

KF> The current Cygwin DLL doesn't support codepages other than
KF> OEM or ANSI in the current system locale, because Win32 APIs
KF> sensitive to the codepage can't handle them.
> 
> it's possible, i believe, to add something like CYGWIN=codepage:asis
> all codepage-specific functions do allow supplying any valid codepage
> to them with one exception: /dev/clipboard handling code.

Most of all file I/O functions don't allow codepages other than
OEM or ANSI.

In NTFS, these functions mutually translate filenames between
a codepage and UNICODE. They must know the codepage used to
represent filenames. But Win32 provides APIs only indicating OEM 
or ANSI, that is SetFileApisTo{ANSI,OEM}.
____
  | AIST      Kazuhiro Fujieda <[email-masked]>
  | HOKURIKU  Center for Information Science
o_/ 1990      Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/