Subject: Re: Running tcsh in rxvt
From: "David A. Cobb" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 18:24:00 -0400

Jerrad Pierce wrote:

> What's the best way to do this?
> If you do rxvt -e tcsh (say from a shortcut).
> The user's dotfile is not parsed (seemingly because home etc. don't get
> correctly set from passwd), plus tab completion and history don't work.
> 
> I've got:
> 	bash --login -i -c "/bin/rxvt -e tcsh" &
> 
> But it seems like there really ought to be a way to avoid the seemingly
> unnecessary invocation of bash and having it hanging around afterwards...
> 
> Of course:
> 	rxvt -e bash --login -i #from the rxvt documentation
> doesn't work properly when invoking from outside of the cygwin environment
> either; i.e. not from an exiisting bash --login -i session.
> 
> PS> I'm not on the list yet so pleace (b)cc me any replies, Thanks!
> 

I know, I know, I've said this before!  And it's only my personal preference.  

But I've had good results with [Windows Shortcut]runs: rxvt [displayparams] -e /usr/bin/login MyUserName.

This way the initial shell is selected from /etc/passwd, and all the 
user-associations are happy.

-- 
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate, All around 
nice guy.
New PGP key 09/13/2001:
:<http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit&\
fingerprint=on>
:<http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit&\
fingerprint=on>
Fingerprint=0x{E7C6_4EE2_6B75_5BA3_C52E__77FA_63C3_9366_DCFB_229B}
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner."
--The Way of a Pilgrim, R. M. French [tr.]
Potentially Viral Software is any software for which you are not allowed
to examine the source.  Do not buy or use Potentially Viral Software!

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/