Subject: getting started with cygwin?
From: "Michael D. Crawford" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 02:22:33 -0400

A guy wrote to me who wants to learn how to program.  He found some helpful
advice on Microsoft's website that said he should learn visual basic.  He bought
a 600 page book and the first 200 pages just talked about the IDE and didn't
cover code much.

I had the sense that he would be happier working with Cygwin.  I suggested Linux
also but then he would have to learn to install and administrate it, I thought
Cygwin would be better to start because the installation is so easy.

He only knows a little basic from college, but he says that is the course he did
best in.

Can you suggest any books or websites I can refer this guy to about how he could
become both a productive user of and programmer of cygwin?

Getting around the shell and some editors would be a big start.  Then there are
many websites for the different languages available.  I know the python tutorial
at 
http://www.python.org/ is very good.  So what I'm asking for doesn't have to be
Cygwin specific.

Mike
-- 
Michael D. Crawford
GoingWare Inc. - Expert Software Development and Consulting
http://www.goingware.com
[email-masked]

  Tilting at Windmills for a Better Tomorrow.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/