Subject: Re: WTF?!
From: Pavel Tsekov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 18:28:32 +0200

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> 
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 05:40:25PM +0200, Pavel Tsekov wrote:
> >Cristopher, why dont just you stop reading those posts which actually
> >dont tend to be good enough for you ?
> 
> Because I am mean.

I know you are :)

> 
> >I think if point 1 applies to you then you are not being paid to read
> >the mailing lists too - are you ?
> 
> No.  I'm not.  Would you like me to ignore all of the email I get
> relating to keeping this mailing list running, too?  I could just turn
> the mailing list off.  That would be a lot easier.

This is not what I mean of course. The line below should explain it.

> 
> >So "silly" mails are easily to be recognized - you can just pass them
> >by.
> 
> If the "silly" emails are so easily recognized then why were you
> contributing to the discussion?
> 
> Why were you discussing making modifications to libiberty which had
> already been done in CVS?

I saw it actually after I posted the first mail from me concerning the
problem. It was late - I'm sorry. I stated that clear in the second one.
However I didnt discuss fixes of liberty but a way to fix the fix for
liberty.
I.e. I felt that this is the right way to do the thing - fixing the
testcase
with respect to autoconf.

> 
> Why were you discussing solutions at all when I already suggested that
> people either use the CVS version or remove the offending file from the
> makefile?

I dont see the solution from you - I really don't. I read the mailing
list from
my local mailbox not from the web - here I have only four (4) messages
from you
an none of them say somethings of actually fixing the problem. The only
post which
gives any useful info says this:

----
It is just C source code we're talking about, right?  You have an
editor?
Look at the place where the errors are coming from and make an
educated guess about fixing it.

What is the worse that can happen?  If you screw up do you think that
this will cause gcc to subtly miscompile your code so that all of the
add instructions are turned into sub instructions or something?  That's
not going to happen.

You are all programmers right?  Inspect the code.  Invest five minutes
worth of analysis into the problem.

If this is too tough for you, try removing the offending file from the
makefile or building from CVS sources.

I can't believe that there are three messages on this subject from
people
who are apparently programmers without one suggested fix.
---- 

I dont blame you or anyone - just there are too much msgs like that one 
above - I dont see way should be messages like that. Or like "go to read
how to ask smart questions" etc. This wont change anything - at least I
think
so.

> 
> Maybe your "ignore filter" is a little too high and mine is a little too
> low.
> 
> cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/