Subject: cygdrive stuff
From: salvador <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 16:11:52 -0300

Hi All:

  I'm porting Turbo Vision to Cygwin, some users wants RHIDE working for
Cygwin and they are helping.
  So I installed it to test patches they sent me (quite messy ones). As TV
already supports MinGW and BC++ 5.5 there is no need to add new code, just
select the right one.
  One thing the patches messed was the drive letters stuff. I see a lot of
things changed since the last Cygwin I tried (B20 that failed to link TV
applications due to internal errors in Cygwin). One is that things like "cd
c:; pwd" gives /cygdrive/c (or something similar).
  I think that's ok if the idea is to offer a POSIX style environment. But
what I find unconfortable is the following two details:

1) "ls -la /" doesn't show any cygdrive directory. Note it could be solved
in the same way UNIX solves the /proc stuff, just mounting over an existent
directory a fake one.
2) "ls -la /cygdrive" doesn't work.

I didn't try to use stat by it will obviously fail.
IMHO they should work, at least 2. I could be in a huge mistake but I think
any POSIX program will think that /cygdrive/c/file could be decomposed to
cygwin c file and also try to access the intermediate points.
I also think supporting (2) could make things really easy, example: you want
to know what drive letters exist in a "POSIX" way, ok, just consult
/cygdrives.
What's the Cygwin people thinks about this topic?

Greetings, SET

--
Salvador Eduardo Tropea (SET). (Electronics Engineer)
Visit my home page: http://welcome.to/SetSoft or
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/6552/
Alternative e-mail: [email-masked] [email-masked]
Address: Curapaligue 2124, Caseros, 3 de Febrero
Buenos Aires, (1678), ARGENTINA Phone: +(5411) 4759 0013

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/