Subject: Re: using aliases for cygwin commands on win2k
From: Anoop Ghanwani <[email-masked]>
To: Robert Collins <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 15:54:06 -0700 (PDT)

--- Robert Collins <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Tue, 2001-09-18 at 08:37, Anoop Ghanwani wrote:
> > I wanted to find out how to use aliases for cygwin commands
> > on win2k.  The cygwin commands are located at c:\cygwin\bin.
> > I don't run bash, but I still use commands such as ls, grep, rm,
> mv.
> > I would like to create aliases for these commands such as
> > alias ls 'ls -lF' and so on.  How do I do something like this?
> 
> Run bash/tcsh/ksh. Do not run cmd.exe.

Thanks for the response.

If I do that, I lose the ability to start applications
automatically by simply typing the file name.  For example, 
if I have a file try.doc, and I type try.doc at the Windows 
2000 command prompt, it brings up Word with that document.

-Anoop

__________________________________________________
Terrorist Attacks on U.S. - How can you help?
Donate cash, emergency relief information
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/fc/US/Emergency_Information/

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/