Subject: RE: debugging threads in CygWin?
From: "Michael D. Crawford" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 08:02:19 -0400

Thanks for responding.

(I hope this isn't posted as HTML I haven't figured out how to disable 
HTML mail in
Mozilla).

ZooLib is a cross-platform application framework that presently works on 
Win32,
Linux with X11, BeOS x86 and classic Mac OS, with Mac OS X nearly there.

I'm trying to build it under CygWin, but without using the cygwin.dll. 
 I want to be
able to run native Win32 applications built this way.

Presently it works to build it on Win32 with Metrowerks CodeWarrior, and 
in the
development version it also can build with Microsoft Visual C++.  I'd 
like to enable it
to be built with g++ on CygWin as well, as I feel this would foster its 
use in more
Free Software development.

I'm putting these options on the g++ command line:

-D_REENTRANT -Wl,--subsystem,windows -mwindows

It should be possible to build ZooLib applications as X applications 
under CygWin as you suggest, but then this would require an X server and 
would involve a great deal
of extra labor on the part of the machine.

As it is ZooLib makes only very primitive use of the GUI facilities 
provided by the
host, I think I should be able to do this targeting Win32 directly.

Is there something more I need to do to disable the use of the 
Cygwin.dll?  I remember
somewhere reading that one can do this.

I wasn't trying to use mingw.  I plan to install mingw as a separate 
build system and
get that to work after I get the cygwin builds working.

Much later I'm going to try to get it to build as a Carbon app using g++ 
on Mac OS X.

Also you said that the zoolib web site doesn't mention Cygwin support. 
 It doesn't yet
because I'm doing it.  I wrote the zoolib web site, as part of my effort 
to help
ZooLib author Andy Green to get ZooLib released as open source.

Mike
[email-masked]
http://www.goingware.com/

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/