Subject: Re: Virus Found
From: "David A. Cobb" <[email-masked]>
To: Michael Schaap <[email-masked]>, Cygwin Library General Discussion <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 17:11:19 -0400

Michael Schaap wrote:
> At 23:49 10-9-2001, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> 
>> Yeah! Instead of the usual advertising lies about the downsides
>> of the software you're just installing (e.g. "The new activation
>> feature helps you to avoid copyright infringements"), Cygwin's
>> setup would give some useful hints to the user:
>>
>>     "NEVER move your Cygwin DLL into your Windows directory!"
>>
>>     "Wanna use ssh? Check out /usr/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README
>>      and start ssh-user-config!"
>>
>>     "On NT, Cygwin uses the Windows password, on 9x, use `crypt'
>>      to generate passwords to put into /etc/passwd."
>>
>>     etc...
> 
> 
> Or how about a "tip of the day" feature in cygwin1.dll that shows one of 
> these in a message box every time the dll is loaded?  :-)

GAAKKKKKK !  I hope that's a joke.  Tip-of-the-day messages are the 
biggest insult going.  I don't need my software to say "Hey, A*****e, 
you can open a file by using the Control+O keyboard shortcut."  If I 
want to be insulted, there are plenty of people I can call.

> Instructions on how to turn that off will NOT be given in the mailing 
> list, but can only be found in the documentation and in the FAQ.
> 
>  - Michael
> 

-- 
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate, All around 
nice guy.
New PGP key 09/13/2001:
:<http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit&\
fingerprint=on>
:<http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit&\
fingerprint=on>
Fingerprint=0x{E7C6_4EE2_6B75_5BA3_C52E__77FA_63C3_9366_DCFB_229B}
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner."
--The Way of a Pilgrim, R. M. French [tr.]
Potentially Viral Software is any software for which you are not allowed
to examine the source.  Do not buy or use Potentially Viral Software!

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/