Subject: Re: Running tcsh in rxvt
From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <[email-masked]>
To: Michael Hoffman <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 15:50:36 -0400

At 03:39 PM 9/13/2001, Michael Hoffman wrote:
>Obviously I have missed the penultimate message in this thread. I
>suppose it was private to Larry.

I believe this whole thread went to the list, but I didn't pay too 
much attention to that! ;-)

>On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
>
> > At 02:49 PM 9/13/2001, Jerrad Pierce wrote:
>
>[> > Larry Hall wrote:]
>
> > > >How so?  Works fine for me.
> > >rxvt window pops up then exits
> > 
> > OK, must be a local installation difference.  Like I said, it 
> > works fine here for me.  The only time that I got something similar
> > to what you describe was when I mistakenly put double quotes around
> > the "tcsh -l" in rxvt invocation I suggested.  Obviously that was an
> > error which made rxvt exit immediately...
>
>I have had similar problems in the past with bash and can reproduce
>this one with tcsh. Use an absolute pathname to the login shell to get
>it to work.
>
>Try rxvt -e /usr/bin/tcsh -l
>
>It also doesn't work for me without an absolute path, even if the
>shortcut sets the directory to C:\cygwin\bin. It _does_ work if I use
>./tcsh (or ./bash) instead of just tcsh. If it works for you, you
>probably have . in your PATH. The documentation in
>/usr/doc/Cygwin/rxvt-2.7.2-README suggests using an absolute path,
>probably to avoid issues like this.
>
>I don't get the expected login shell behavior when using tcsh like
>this. I don't use tcsh, so I suspsect this is because I have no
>/etc/csh.cshrc or /etc/csh.profile to tell tcsh how to set the home
>environment variable. I'll let people who actually use tcsh deal with
>this one. :-)

Good point Michael!  It's always important to make sure that you're 
path is set up as you intend to use it.

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
118 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/